Windovers were Saddlers and Harness Makers in Ottery St Mary from 1600 until the Industrial Revolution, when they moved north, first to Grantham and then to Huntingdon, to make carriages and coaches. Their extensive range of horse drawn vehicles developed sales to all parts of the empire and beyond including royal households in Europe as well as England.
In Huntingdon, the business expanded rapidly to become the district’s largest employer. The factory where they made carriages to the highest specifications led to an impressive client list.
From their success came their involvement in building bodies for Rolls Royce and Bentley cars and numerous other well known marques. The Company moved production to Hendon in London in 1924, nearer to their showrooms. Peabody’s pea body was built in this very factory.
After the Second World war, Windovers successfully switched to coaches, fire engines and taxis until the business was finally closed down in 1956.